Have you ever attempted the ‘master cleanse’? I am definitely not that brave! A cleanse of any kind would probably just make me cranky and crazy and dying for carbs. A few years ago my pilates teacher, who, of course, was already a string bean, completed the whole thing and it sounded just awful. But she did introduce me to the benefits of water with lemon and cayenne pepper. Now my cleanse water is part of my daily routine! Plain water has never been my thing, and this combination makes it much easier to up my intake.
10 Reasons You Should Be Drinking Lemon Water
- Lemon juice and cayenne pepper are both immune boosters; the extra vitamin C helps your immune system cope when you’re stressed
- They’re also natural detoxifiers; lemon helps stimulate the liver to remove toxins and cayenne helps your body sweat them out
- Lemons aid digestion and can help soothe indigestion
- Lemon also helps fight hunger and sugar cravings
- Cayenne pepper improves blood and lymphatic circulation so your cells get more nutrients
- Lemon is packed with antioxidants that keep your skin healthy
- Lemon water can help fight gingivitis and keep your breath fresh
- If you’re trying to cut caffeine in the morning, a mug of hot lemon water can help you wean off
- Lemon water can help your body beat viral infections like strep throat
- Lemons have been shown to calming to the body; drinking lemon water can help ease anxiety and depression
How to Make Cleanse Water
My go-to recipes is the juice of half of a lemon and a dash of cayenne pepper added to water (hot or cold). Add a few chopped slices of ginger for more detox and weight loss benefits (yes, please!). You can add a tablespoon or so of honey for a touch of sweetness. I’ll make a big water bottle of this in the morning and drink throughout the day. It’s perfect for banishing afternoon sugar cravings – definitely my biggest weakness!
- Glass of water, or mug of hot water
- ½ lemon
- Dash cayenne pepper
- A few chopped ginger slices (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- Squeeze half of a lemon and add a dash of cayenne pepper to your water and stir. Add in ginger and honey if desired.
What are your tricks for drinking more water? Have you ever tried a cleanse?